2023 WLA season has arrived!
Burnaby, BC; May 23, 2023 – The Western Lacrosse Association season is scheduled to open Wednesday May 24th when the Burnaby Lakers visit defending WLA Champions, Langley Thunder. The 2022 WLA Finalist, Nanaimo Timbermen travel to New Westminster to take on the Salmonbellies at historic Queens Park Arena on Thursday May 25th, followed by a slate of five games on the weekend.
WLA teams will play a full 18-game regular season schedule followed by August playoffs, with the league champion hosting the Major Series Lacrosse (MSL) Champion from Ontario for the Mann Cup in September. For the complete regular season schedule, visit WLALacrosse.com/schedule.
The seven teams of the WLA will host their home openers as follows:
● May 24: Langley vs. Burnaby at Langley Events Centre;
● May 25: New Westminster vs. Nanaimo at Queens Park Arena;
● May 26: Burnaby vs. Maple Ridge at Bill Copeland Arena;
● May 26: Victoria vs. Langley at The Q Centre;
● May 27: Coquitlam vs. Nanaimo at Poirier Sport & Leisure Complex;
● May 28: Maple Ridge vs. Victoria at Cam Neely Arena;
● June 3: Nanaimo vs. Langley at Frank Crane Arena;
All WLA games will be streamed live on WLA TV in conjunction with our partners at PlayFullScreen. Games are available for sale now on WLALacrosse.com/wlatv, and fans can purchase single games, as well as 5-game packages for $9.95 and $35.95, respectively.
The Western Lacrosse Association (WLA) is an amateur league of men’s Senior A box lacrosse sanctioned by the Canadian Lacrosse Association. The WLA consists of seven teams, based in cities throughout southwestern British Columbia, playing an 18-game schedule from late May to the end of July.
Each year, the playoff teams battle for the right to compete against the Major Series Lacrosse champion (Ontario) for the Mann Cup every September. The championship is hosted alternately between Ontario (MSL) and British Columbia (WLA) every year.